Ask Julie

       Return to home page       Return to main list


Q: I was wondering if you could direct me to finding out information regarding working as an OT in your country? I am an OT in the US. Just curious if you knew what I would have to do to work there? Is there a test? or can I work on a working visa?


A: The British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT) is based in London. They have a web site with email & phone numbers. I'm sure they will be able to direct you to the right people. describes the process.

To practise as an occupational therapist in the UK, you must be registered with the Health Professions Council (HPC) our Regulatory Body. HPC will provide information on the process but this can take several months to complete. Occupational Therapist is a protected title which may only be used by registered occupational therapists hence the importance that you register.

It would be useful to know of the national policies, professional conduct, guidelines and standards governing practice here. The BAOT have an overseas category. When your HPC certificate comes through you can upgrade your membership to become a Professional Member of the (BAOT)/College of Occupational Therapists. Enquire though the BAOT.

The BAOT journal and BJOT news advertises jobs in the UK addional to job centres, other publications (e.g. Therapy).

We have many locum agencies (as OT's are in very short supply) so try one of them as they can assist you with the process.